Restore Your Smile Permanently With Dr. Hindi
Dental implants are the gold standard for replacing missing teeth and restoring your smile. With their high success rates, durability, and lifelike appearance, it’s no wonder dental implants have become the preferred tooth replacement option for patients missing one or more teeth.
If you live in Sterling Heights, MI, and are considering dental implants, you can look forward to beautiful, natural-looking results with Dr. Ragda Hindi at Sterling Heights Dentistry. She stays current on the latest techniques and technologies to deliver predictable restorative dentistry outcomes.
Schedule your dental implant consultation today by calling (586) 939-5151!
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that integrate with your jawbone to serve as a replacement for a missing tooth root. The dental implant fuses to your bone through a natural process called osseointegration, providing a sturdy base for your new artificial tooth, which may be a custom dental crown or bridge.
They mimic the structure of your natural teeth, making them the most natural-feeling tooth replacement available. Along with a custom dental restoration, dental implants are nearly indistinguishable from your own teeth.
The Parts of a Dental Implant
Your dental implant is comprised of three components to deliver unmatched durability and a natural appearance:
- The Implant: This titanium post acts as your new tooth root. The dental implant is permanently attached to your jawbone.
- The Abutment: This permanent connector supports and holds a dental bridge or crown.
- The Customized Restoration: Also known as the prosthetic tooth, this is the only visible part of your dental implant. We’ll typically use a porcelain crown to ensure it blends seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dr. Hindi recommends dental implants to patients looking for a permanent solution to missing teeth for their extraordinary benefits. Dental implants offer the following benefits:
- Preserve Facial Structure: Dental implants prevent bone loss in the jaw to maintain natural facial contour.
- Restore Chewing Function: The ability to bite and chew is restored because dental implants fuse like natural tooth roots to the jaw.
- Protect Healthy Teeth: Nearby teeth don’t require reshaping or grinding down like dental bridges.
- Comfortable and Stable: Dental implants anchor for a natural feel and optimal comfort.
- Long Lasting: With proper care, implants can last decades and even a lifetime.
- Improve Speech: Speech feels more natural than dentures or missing teeth with the stability of implants.
- Natural Looking: Custom crowns can perfectly match your surrounding teeth.
- Boosts Self-Confidence: Many patients report restored confidence and improved quality of life after dental implants.
Candidates for Dental Implants
Dental implants are suitable for most adults, but ideal candidates typically share the following:
- Good Overall Oral Health: Your gums and teeth should be free of active infections or untreated tooth decay, which can jeopardize implant success.
- Adequate Bone Density and Volume: Sufficient healthy bone is needed to support the implants. Dr. Hindi will assess your bone density and volume with 3D scans. If deficient, procedures like sinus lifts or ridge augmentation can build up the implant sites beforehand.
- Realistic Expectations: Dental implants require proper oral hygiene and some lifestyle adjustments. Candidates should be committed to diligent care and regular dental visits to achieve optimal long-term oral health.
- Anatomical Structures for Implant Placement: You need adequate space between teeth and in the jaw for implant posts. Issues like severe bone loss or nerve proximity can make placement more complex.
- Non-Smoker: Smoking severely limits the chances of osseointegration and increases the chances of implant failure. You must commit to quitting smoking before implant treatment.
The Dental Implant Procedure at Sterling Heights Dentistry
The first step in the dental implant procedure is an in-depth initial consultation with Dr. Hindi to determine if you’re a candidate for dental implants. She’ll review your medical and dental history, listen to your goals, and perform a comprehensive dental exam. This exam includes assessing the health of your gums, taking X-rays or CT scans to visualize your bone structure, evaluating the space needed for dental implant placement, and checking for adequate bone density.
Dr. Hindi will also discuss options for completing the dental implants, such as crowns or bridges. Based on her analysis, she’ll recommend a personalized implant treatment plan for your anatomy and needs.
Dental Implant Surgery
Once you decide to move forward with Dr. Hindi’s recommended treatment plan, you’ll come into our Sterling Heights dental office for minimally invasive dental implant surgery. We’ll ensure your comfort using local anesthetic and dental sedation to maximize your comfort.
Dr. Hindi will begin to place dental implants by making a small incision in your gums to expose the bone, using advanced tools to create channels for the implants. The biocompatible titanium implants are then placed into the jawbone, and the implant post is secured deep into the bone until flush with the surface. In just one hour or two, you’ll walk out with your new implant posts ready to integrate with the bone.
Healing and Osseointegration
A three-to-six-month healing time after the implant surgery allows the dental implant to integrate into your jawbone through osseointegration. This step is the critical process where the bone fuses tightly to the implant surface, creating a strong foundation for your replacement teeth.
During this period, Dr. Hindi may provide a temporary restoration to protect the implant site. Proper oral hygiene is vital during healing to prevent infection and support integration. We’ll monitor your implants and may take periodic X-rays to ensure the implants are fusing properly before moving to the final restorations.
Once healed, Dr. Hindi will attach abutments and lifelike dental crowns to complete your dental implants. Custom dental crowns will match your natural tooth color, shape, and alignment, restoring your confident, beautiful smile.
Regular visits to our Sterling Heights dental office to maintain your implants and replace the artificial teeth if needed will keep your implants functioning optimally for decades.
Recovery After Dental Implant Surgery
The dental implant placement process involves minimal discomfort or downtime. Typical recovery after the dental implant surgery includes:
- Some swelling and tenderness at the surgery site for a few days that can be managed using ice packs
- Mild to moderate bruising of the face that resolves within a couple of weeks
- Slight discomfort managed well with over-the-counter or prescribed pain medication
- An antibiotic and medicated mouth rinse may be prescribed to prevent infection
- Eating soft foods until the anesthesia wears off and the swelling has reduced
- Avoiding very hot or hard foods near the surgery site
- Limiting physical activity for the first few days
- A temporary artificial tooth until your implant site has healed enough to place the permanent dental crown
Caring For Your Dental Implants
Once your implants heal, you can use and care for them just like your natural teeth. Follow these steps to ensure your dental implant stays healthy and glowing for years to come:
- Brush your dental implants gently twice daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove plaque around crowns and abutments.
- Floss once daily to clear food debris from between artificial teeth.
- Use an antiseptic mouth rinse daily for extra antimicrobial protection.
- Visit Sterling Heights Dentistry every six months for exams and professional cleanings to prevent calculus buildup and periodontal disease.
- Report any dental implant pain, damage, or loosening immediately to avoid failure.
- Get X-rays annually to monitor bone levels around implant posts.
- Avoid very hard, crunchy, chewy foods that could fracture dental implant crowns.
- Wear a custom mouthguard during sports to prevent trauma to implants.
- Stop tobacco use to avoid implant failure for optimal dental implant success and longevity.
The Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implants depends on how many implants are needed and the type of restoration. During your consultation, Dr. Hindi will review the fees tailored to your personalized treatment plan.
Sterling Heights Dentistry’s flexible in-house financing options make implants affordable. They also work with outside financing like CareCredit. Dental insurance may cover a portion of the treatment as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
While implants are an investment, they last much longer than bridges or dentures, which require replacement every five to 10 years.
Implants also prevent bone loss and inflammation associated with missing teeth. Considering their benefits, longevity, and ability to transform your smile, dental implants are well worth the cost for most patients.
Immediate dental implant surgery is possible in some cases, depending on the dental anatomy and health of the socket. Other times, it’s better to wait eight to 12 weeks for full healing before the dental implant surgery.
Proper implant placement should feel just like natural teeth. The crowns are custom-designed to replicate your natural tooth shape, shade, and texture. Unlike when you wear dentures, implants are securely fixed in your jaw like real tooth roots, providing a natural feel.
The implant surgery may involve some minor discomfort that is temporary and manageable with over-the-counter medication. The process of getting implants is much less invasive and painful compared to more extensive procedures like bone grafting. Local anesthetic keeps you comfortable during the procedure.
Schedule Your Dental Implant Consultation in Sterling Heights, MI
With advanced training in the latest dental implant techniques and technology, Dr. Hindi provides consistently exceptional results. Visit Sterling Heights Dentistry to see how transformative implant dentistry can be in allowing you to eat, speak, smile, and live life to the fullest again.
If you’re ready to learn more about dental implants, call Sterling Heights Dentistry at (586) 939-5151 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Hindi. We look forward to meeting new and returning patients from Sterling Heights and the Detroit metro area, including Troy, Warren, and Fraser, MI.