Custom Mouthguards in Sterling Heights, MI
What is a Mouthguard?
A mouthguard, also known as a night guard or sports guard, is an appliance used to protect your teeth from injury or damage. They’re custom-created protective devices that fit perfectly over teeth, allowing patients to enjoy their active lifestyles without worrying about dental accidents. Mouthguards are also recommended for patients who suffer from bruxism, or teeth grinding.
At Sterling Heights Dentistry, we love getting to know our patients and gaining a better understanding of their lifestyles. We strive to protect your beautiful smile and help you maintain your oral health. Learn how our experienced Sterling Heights dentist can custom-fit you for a mouthguard that will provide you with the utmost safety and protection.
How a Mouthguard Can Help You
Mouthguards can help protect your teeth, gums, jaw, and other parts of your mouth from damage or dental trauma. They are essential in protecting patients’ smiles during sporting activities as well as preventing damage from bruxism. A mouthguard is the most effective way to prevent tedious dental work later on and protect your smile’s appearance.
If you’re looking to get a mouthguard, Dr. Ragda Hindi can help. She offers custom-made appliances to ensure that your beautiful smile stays protected. She’ll examine your mouth, take high-quality impressions of your teeth, and send them to a special dental laboratory where your custom mouthguard will be created.
Different Types of Mouthguards
There are several different types of mouthguards to choose from based on your specific needs and budget. The three types of mouthguards available are:
- Stock mouthguards – This is the most affordable and widely available mouthguard. With three sizes of small, medium, and large, stock mouthguards typically only cover the top teeth. While they’re inexpensive and easily accessible, stock mouthguards can be uncomfortable due to their limited size options and don’t provide a tight fit.
- Boil-and-bite mouthguards – Similar to stock mouthguards, boil-and-bite guards can be found in most drugstores and are relatively inexpensive. These mouthguards come in one size that you customize to your teeth. This will involve boiling the mouthguard until it softens and then placing it over your front teeth and biting down.
- Custom-made mouthguards – Custom-fitted mouthguards are made by your dentist. They’ll take an impression of your teeth and use it to create your mouthguard specifically for the structure of your teeth and mouth. This will provide you with a more precise fit than either stock or boil-and-bite mouthguards, which makes them more comfortable and harder to accidentally dislodge while you’re sleeping.
It’s crucial that you take proper care of your mouthguard and protect it from damage. To get the most out of your mouthguard, we recommend following these guidelines:
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting in your mouthguard.
- Rinse your mouthguard with cold water or mouthwash before placing it in your mouth and after taking it out. Avoid using hot water, which can misshape it.
- Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean it.
- Bring your mouthguard to your dental appointments so we can ensure it properly fits and functions.
- Store your mouthguard in a hard container with some ventilation for protection and allow it to dry between uses.
It’s important to keep in mind that mouthguards aren’t designed to last forever. Replace your mouthguard as soon as you see any holes or signs of wear, or every two to three years. You may need to replace stock and boil-and-bite guards more regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Custom mouthguards offer superior protection and comfort compared to store-bought mouthguards because they’re designed to fit your teeth and gums precisely. They’re also made from high-quality materials that provide better shock absorption and can last several years with proper care.
To ensure your custom mouthguard lasts several years, remember to clean it after each use with mild soap and warm water. You should also store it in a ventilated case to prevent bacteria buildup and avoid exposure to high temperatures or direct sunlight.
Custom mouthguards can last for several years with proper care and maintenance. However, they may need replacing if they’re worn down, damaged, or no longer fit properly. Your dentist or dental professional can advise you on when it’s time to replace your mouthguard.
The process of making a custom mouthguard takes one to two weeks, from the initial impression to the final fitting. However, this can vary depending on the dentist or dental professional and the complexity of the mouthguard.
Protecting Your Smile at Sterling Heights Dentistry
At Sterling Heights Dentistry, we can help protect our patients’ smiles from sports injuries and damage with custom mouthguards. If you’re in need of a mouthguard, contact our Sterling Heights dental office by calling (586) 939-5151 and one of our team members will be happy to assist you.