Dental Cleanings and Checkups in Sterling Heights, MI
The Importance of Regular Dental Care
At Sterling Heights Dentistry, we strive to educate patients on the importance of regular, professional dental care. With routine general care, you can achieve pristine oral health and a beautiful smile to last for years to come. Explore below to discover what your dental cleaning appointments consist of and how we’ll help get you on the right track to excellent oral hygiene.
What Is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping your mouth clean and free of disease. By following an at-home oral hygiene routine, you can maintain great dental health and a beautiful smile. Your oral hygiene routine should consist of the following:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Flossing daily
- Rinsing between meals
- Visiting our Sterling Heights dental office once every six months
The Benefits of Teeth Cleanings and Checkups
Attending regular dental cleanings and checkups provides several benefits for your overall health, including:
- Early diagnosis of cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer
- Immediate treatment of underlying oral health conditions
- Fills in the gaps of your daily oral hygiene routine
- Eliminates built-up plaque and tartar
How Plaque and Tartar Affect Your Oral Health
Without dental cleanings, your teeth begin to accumulate plaque and tartar buildup. Plaque is a sticky white film of bacteria that forms on your teeth due to left behind food, drinks, tobacco, and mucus. When plaque begins to build up, it can lead to tooth decay, chronic bad breath, gum disease, and other dental issues.
Eventually, plaque deposits harden into tartar when left on the teeth. Tartar is a substance that’s difficult to remove without professional cleanings and leads to infection harboring pockets between your teeth and gums. When left untreated, tartar can cause several problems such as deep cavities, enamel loss, and more.
Your Regular Dental Visits
When you visit Sterling Heights Dentistry twice a year, you’ll be able to achieve great dental health. While each patient’s oral health is unique, all routine checkup visits include an examination and professional teeth cleanings. We’ll also take digital x-rays and perform an oral cancer screening once a year.
Our dentist will evaluate your oral health with examinations twice a year. By examining your teeth, gums, and jawbone, we’ll be able to find any underlying oral health issues and create any treatment plans as needed. We’ll always let you know if we find any concerning signs.
Professional teeth cleanings are one of the most important ways of removing built-up plaque and tartar. Our dental hygienists will use special tools to clean your teeth, making sure to get those hard-to-reach areas that are often missed at home. Dental cleanings can help prevent serious health issues from developing as well as reverse any effects of gum disease.
Frequently Asked Questions
To improve your oral hygiene and achieve pristine dental health, try the following:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day — Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. When brushing, place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle toward your gums.
- Floss daily — Brushing alone doesn’t reach the spaces between your teeth. Take a piece of floss and gently glide it between two teeth. Repeat for all of your teeth.
- Brush your tongue — You can use your toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash — This helps keep harmful bacteria at bay and reduces plaque buildup.
- Visit the dentist regularly — Routine dental exams and cleanings are essential for maintaining great oral health.
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products — Smoking is the leading cause of oral cancer and gum disease.
Yes, most insurance plans cover dental cleanings, as they’re considered a necessary treatment. For more details about your plan’s coverage, we recommend contacting your provider. We also offer financing options and an in-house dental savings plan to make sure all patients get the care they need. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call our Sterling Heights, MI office at (586) 939-5151.
Not taking proper care of your oral health can lead to other serious health consequences. Research has shown that gingivitis and periodontal disease can contribute to the following conditions:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pregnancy complications
- Endocarditis (infection of the heart’s inner lining)
Several signs may indicate poor oral hygiene, including:
- Bleeding or tender gums
- Chronic bad breath
- Severe tooth pain
- Tooth decay
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
- Swelling of the jaw
- Mouth sores
- Gingivostomatitis – an infection of the mouth
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms listed, please call our Sterling Heights, MI office at (586) 939-5151 to schedule an appointment with our dentist.
Schedule Your Appointment at Sterling Heights Dentistry
Don’t neglect your oral health. At Sterling Heights Dentistry, our team is here to provide you with the support you need to achieve and maintain great dental health and a beautiful smile. To schedule your dental cleaning, call our Michigan office today at (586) 939-5151, or fill out our contact forms. We look forward to meeting you!